Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Eunice Olsen - Redken's First Official Spokeswoman

Caught sight of news of Eunice Olsen being chosen as the spokeswoman for Redken in Singapore from Marketing Interactive. A press statement issued by L'Oreal Singapore said Olsen was the perfect choice with her graceful sophisticiation and perfect marriage of brain, beauty, attitude and style.

This kinda made me wonder, what goes into the criteria for selecting a face of a brand? For the Redken brand, I don't think Eunice Olsen is the first person that comes to my mind as a spokesperson. When selecting a brand's spokeperson, do we want to appeal to the masses or stay true to the brand's character and personify the brand?

I guess it's really a tough choice. Personally, I feel that the selection of the person must take into consideration what the targeted consumers are looking for. I think many people are not able to relate Ms Olsen to Redken, at least not to me. And if the relationship isn't there in the first place, the effect of the spokesperson is immediately diminished.

Another reasoning that I have came up with on why I don't seem to particularly like the choice by Redken is because Ms Olsen isn't a "pop" culture face. I associate her with Ms Singapore, a Nominated Member of Parliment, someone with a more serious profile to her name. I immediately thought of Takuya Kimura as the face of Gatsby. The appeal is there. He is a cool popstar with star appeal, he uses wax, and he is Japanese. The draw is definitely there for people to buy Gatsby products, with Kimura as the face of Gatsby.

As marketers, I guess we often face the difficult situation of choice. Between what is a boring norm and a daring breakaway. But fortune favours the bold, and maybe Redken could just be spot on this time round.

No comments: